BASF Coatings GmbH, headquartered in Münster belongs to the division coating ( Coatings ) of the BASF Group .
Root of BASF Coatings GmbH is the Max Winkelmann AG, which was founded in 1888 by Max Winkelmann (1862-1938) in Hamburg. The main area of business was the production of paints and coatings. In addition to the former headquarters in Hamburg founded Winkelmann in 1903 a branch in Hiltrup, which is a district of Münster, Germany today. In 1904 the still existing emblem of the plant, the water tower, built. This branch later became headquarters and is now one of the most important employers in Münster.
1889 Company Name (company) was changed to „Glasurit“ and protected by a patent Reich. The name should describe the glaze-like hard coating of the paint. 1908 the company was converted into a corporation with the company Glasurit-Werke Max Winkelmann AG with 1.8 million Goldmark initial capital. After the paint has been growing in popularity, Max Winkelmann was looking for a symbol of his company. It was decided in 1925 for the Scarlet Macaw with its striking blaze of color as a trademark.
After the Second World War Glasurit was the main supplier for the German automotive industry. At the same time, the company became the largest paint manufacturers in the world. The descendants Max Winkelmann decided in 1965, to sell the company to BASF. Other acquisitions, such as 1967, Dr. Beck & Co. AG, a specialist for insulating varnishes and insulating materials for the electrical industry, and in 1968 the Herbol-Werke Herbig Haarhaus AG strengthened the company. In 1985, a further expansion through the acquisition of the company Inmont. The portfolio has been repeatedly supplemented by smaller acquisitions. Last major purchase were the color activities of NOF Corporation (Nippon Oil and Fat) in Japan and the company Relius Coatings, headquartered in Oldenburg, formerly part of Degussa’s construction chemicals. The brand „Glasurit“ was licensed for next Bauanstriche to AkzoNobel.
On 14 December 2009 the company announced the change of legal form to GmbH. The company has been operating since 1 March 2010 under BASF Coatings GmbH.